Accounts Payable Specialist | Part Time Position
The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for reviewing and processing invoices to be paid by the organization. This role also serves as an auditor, ensuring that invoices are accurate and that proper accounting procedures are followed to account for the payment for goods and services utilized by the organization. This role requires strong administrative skills coupled with the ability to support the needs of ministers and vendors with care and customer service skills.
- Review all invoices, check requests, employee reimbursements/advances, and credit card statements for accuracy, appropriate documentation, and approval prior to payment.
- Prioritize invoices according to cash discount potential and payment terms.
- Process check and submit electronic payments to Accounting Manager, ensuring accuracy, completeness, proper coding in accounting ledgers, and timeliness.
- Organize and maintain vendor payment files, including insuring W9’s are on file for all vendors and issuing 1099’s at year end.
- Reconcile vendor statements, research and correct discrepancies, and respond to vendor inquires.
- Research and resolve payables issues as needed.
- Perform responsibilities associated with month-end and year-end close processes.
- Oversee the yearly Unclaimed Fund.
- Identify opportunities to increase efficiencies in payables processing via automation and/or streamlining processes.
- Update the Accounts Payable Process Manual as procedures change.
- Take the mail (including checks processed that day) to the post office when needed.
- Maintain electronic and physical records management systems, including filing and retrieving corporate documents, records and reports in accordance with organization policy and accepted accounting practices. Provide supporting documentation for audits.
- Provide administrative support to prepare for and implement Network Conference and deliver exceptional customer service to ministers and guests at the event.
- Maintain confidence of ministers by not disclosing or divulging either directly or indirectly confidential information to others unless first authorized to do so in writing by the Director of Operations.
- Demonstrate a positive and professional attitude with and work collaboratively with coworkers, ministers, and other church personnel, whether contact is by mail, telephone, or in person. Foster good working relationships by communicating clearly, showing respect for others, and proactively navigating points of tension.
- Maintain a neat and professional work area to include desk, file cabinets, and general office area.
- Support Team members are assigned to assist with office processes, which may include reception coverage, kitchen duty, and other tasks.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Ability to process and code a high volume of accounts payable data within established time frames and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Time Management of multiple project schedules with a high volume of tasks and adaptation to changing priorities.
- Provide friendly and welcoming customer service to ministers, vendors, and the public.
- Strong writing, grammar, communication, editing, and attention to detail skills.
- Maintain strict confidence with sensitive information and documents.
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively within a team environment.
- Proficient in a Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office environment including use of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
Required Education and Experience
- High School or GED completion
- Two years of Accounts Payable experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate’s Degree in Accounting/Business Administration or equivalent experience
Other Qualifications and Expectations
As a religious organization, the Northwest Ministry Network employs people who have a personal relationship with and commitment to Jesus Christ as evidenced in personal living and in relationships. Anyone seeking employment with the Network must align with the Network’s core values and mission statement as described on the Network website, share a commitment to and practice a Biblically consistent lifestyle, faithful attendance in a local church, and ministry involvement.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some light movement around the office is expected. This may require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary. This role has event responsibilities, which would involve the ability to lift 30 lbs. and pushing, pulling, and lifting to move tables and chairs. This role requires close visual acuity to perform activities such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing, viewing a computer terminal, and reading and the ability to hear and to speak.
Travel typically includes a one-day trip in the Fall (Network Conference Site Visit) and a four-day conference in the Spring (Network Conference).
*all events subject to change
Expected Hours and Location of Work
This is a part time position that is three days a week, 8 hours per day, including a half an hour unpaid lunch. The Network offers specific schedule options.
The ideal work schedule for this position is Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, with all work performed at the Network office. However, there is a possibility to substitute one of those days for working Monday or Friday instead. Mondays and Fridays can be worked from wherever an employee works best (office or remote location) unless their job responsibilities, director’s expectations, unexpected circumstances, or seasonal demands require them to be in the office on these days.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.